Monday, July 8, 2013

How to Get the Most Out of a Networking Event

Networking is a great way to make relationships in the business community. When I attend a networking event I always take time to great the people I already know and then make it a point to talk to at least three new people. I prefer the quality verse quantity approach when building relationships. I find when you build a few solid foundations those relationships will branch into new connections and opportunities.

My three tips are:

-Be genuine and don’t talk shop all the time. 

Some of the best business relationships I’ve made over the years haven’t been because we are both in the same industry. In fact it’s usually that we have something in common outside of work that keeps connected.

-Listen as much as possible. 

You’ll get a lot more out of the conversation by listening to someone than thinking about what you’re going to say next. It will also help you understand them so you can better connect with them.

-Be consistent. 

It’s really hard to build a relationship if you can’t attend meeting regularly. It’s better to attend one group every time than a handful of groups sporadically.

-Be visible.

Speak on panels, at meetings or conferences. I find sharing knowledge is a great way to give back to the community. I rarely say no to a chance to share with other professionals. I say take the chance where you can, even if the event is small. Remember we want quality over quantity.

Lastly remember to find those key relationships, and then cultivate and nourish them, to keep them alive and healthy.

Happy Networking,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS