Monday, July 29, 2013

Be Present - Finding Balance


For the last two years I have worked full time, juggled two kids under 5, had a husband who worked and was in school full time, managed to mostly stay in touch with my friends and start a contract business.  What?  I honestly don't know how I have not completely lost my mind and trust me I have come close a couple of times.  I get asked all the time how I manage at all and the two biggest things I can share are:

1.  Take one thing at a time.

If I think about the whole picture, all the time, I probably would go nuts.  If I thought about packing my lunch for tomorrow, getting all the laundry done, making sure Jack is behaving himself and Hailey is not getting into anything she is not supposed to, and my to do list when I get to work tomorrow, or what I need to get done for my contract stuff when I get done with work to stay on schedule, or what we are going to have for dinner, or making sure the house gets picked up.  Exhausting right?  But, I have my list of priorities and I work on one thing at a time until it is completed or I can go no further.  Which leads to my second and probably most important point.  

2.  Be Present.

Be there 100%, wherever you are.  When I am at work, I am focused on what I am supposed to be doing.  My cell phone is on silent - in an emergency everyone who needs it has my work line.  I try to only check my personal email on breaks or at lunch, etc.  When I am with my family, I am UNPLUGGED.  Off the grid.  If you call me, I'm sorry but I probably will not answer.  But, leave a message and I will call you back!  If you email me, you will probably not hear back from me until the kids are in bed or the next day.  Whatever you choose to be doing at that time - you chose to be there, so be present!

When I first had my daughter a night out with my girlfriends was like gold.  It happened few and far between.  A lot of them get to see each other all the time, and I just remember sitting down to have a drink and everyone was either on their phone or had it out in front of them.  I chose to be with you, over my kids, and you chose to be with me....so let's hang out!  

Cheers!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS