Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Day in the Life - Erin


Honestly, this week’s topic is very close to my heart. I believe that our personal habits shape who we are and what we will accomplish. I also know it’s easier to slip into bad habits then create positive ones. The only way I manage to keep good habits going, is to set-up a framework for my day and stick to it…even if I would prefer to hit snooze and try again later. So, I thought I would share a normal day in my crazy little world.  Pop some popcorn and follow along!

Name: 

Erin Wissig


Titles: 

Day Job: Senior Event Planner and Sales Manager
Crafty Communications: Co-Owner focused in event planning and organization


5:30 AM

Out of bed and to the gym. Or, if not a gym day, I go for a walk with my husband and our dog Brody, around the neighborhood.  I know if I don’t work out in the morning it won’t happen. I never have the energy to go in the evenings. I find more excuses than sand on a beach. However when I work out in the mornings I find it’s a great jumpstart to my day.

7:30 AM

I’m out the door and on my way to the office.

8:00 AM

For my day job I work out of an office, so by now I’ve said a mostly cheerful hello to my coworkers and then I’m at my desk in front of the computer. I check emails and voicemails, double check my files and calendar for my daily appointments and jump into my day. In addition to planning, I also sell events and work with our marketing department to plan our tradeshows.

11:00 AM

My days are never the same, so an array of items could be on the agenda, but I typically try to use the morning for following up on events that happened the previous day/evening, responding to emails, voicemails and attending internal meetings. I also usually have one planning meeting. The event planning is the real heart of what I do and love, there is so much work that goes on behind the scenes of an event than most people realize.  Anyone who has ever hosted a party knows what I mean. It’s more than just coming up with creative ideas, planning an event requires research, timelines, contracts, negotiations, and a lot of patience. Due to the number of events I plan and all the paperwork and follow-up details I restrict my planning meetings to no more than two per day. This allows me to keep follow-up on my events currently happening while still keeping future events moving forward.

12:00pm

I tend to get very involved in my work, so it’s common to lose track of time. I try very hard to set things aside and take a break. I always leave the office and make sure I get something to eat. A really bad habit I had for years was eating my meals in front of the computer and getting a little extra work done. However I always felt tired and grumpy on the days I didn’t step away. So, I know longer take lunch at my desk. It’s a huge step in creating a positive habit for myself.
I’m a big fan of lunch meetings so I usually schedule at least two working lunches a week for my consulting work. The other days I will either enjoy lunch with a coworker or have a quiet lunch to write down ideas or to do lists.

1:00 PM

You will find me back at my desk. I do a quick email and voicemail check and get ready for my afternoon. Usually it’s a combination of another planning meeting and data entry. A couple days a month they also include:
Site Tours: Often times for day’s I plan on touring I tend to schedule more than 1 appointment.  It’s much easier to have an afternoon of tours so I can save my detailed work for a chuck of uninterrupted time. These meetings might be with a new client, someone I’ve worked with before or one I’m working with currently.
Vendor Meetings: I usually try to do these in person. I love getting to meet new amazing people and working towards a successful partnership. My vendors are my support team and I can’t tell you how lucky I am to work with these wonderful people on a regular basis.

5:30 PM           

I’m home and focused on a bit of family time. We eat dinner, catch up ect…
I also pack my lunch for the next day. Because I have a horrible habit of eating out way to much I try to pack a lunch at least 3 days a week. It cuts down on my spending and empty calories. Another positive habit I’m trying to make stickJ
If I have a networking event family time usually gets pushed back a few hours and we enjoy a late dinner and catch up on our favorite T.V. shows online.

8:00PM-10:00PM

There never seems to be enough time in the day, so it’s not uncommon for my husband and I to return to our computers for a bit after dinner. I’m naturally a night owl and get some of my best work done after dark. I’m usually working on my consulting projects, writing blog posts and perusing pinterest for fun ideas for my next party or event. The husband is usually elbow deep in engineering homework.

10:30 PM

I’m in bed. I would love to stay up later but if I’m going to have a chance in he-double-hockey-sticks of making it to the gym (a positive habit) I have to make sure I’m in bed with no electronics. Speaking of the time it looks like I need to wrap this up and get to bed.


What I hope you were able to take away from a day in my life:

Event planning isn’t just about being creative.  It also takes strong organizational skills – maybe even a little obsessiveness. It is very easy to get burnt out, so I highly suggest no matter what your industry you focus on setting positive personal habits. Once you’ve established those just keep succeeding!  
It takes a lot of hard work to build a business and good habits will help you have the energy to succeed.

A few great resources I love!

Happy Habits,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS